[Samba] Samba Permissions vs Linux Permissions

Stephen Elliott techweb at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 26 09:46:02 MST 2011

Hi,

I understand that Linux permissions override Samba permissions. But is it
also the case that the Samba permissions override the Linux permissions?

Example:

I have a samba share called "SHARE". This is disabled by default and is
configured for write access by group "MY_GROUP".

The permissions of all files and folders within /c/SHARE are 777
(rwxrwxrwx).

Now, if a user called "David" belonging to group "users" tried to access
"\\READYNAS\SHARE\document.doc" would they have permission? I believe not
but am looking for confirmation?

My testing and understanding, leads me to the conclusion that both Samba and
Linux permissions override each other. The most restrictive set win. Am I
correct?

Many Thanks

Stephen Elliott