[Samba] testing samba 4 alongside samba 3

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Nov 24 04:06:40 MST 2011

Hi
I have the opportunity to test Samba 4 and in particular the possibility
of migrating from 3.6 to 4. I have a setup a spare box with 3.6 and ldap
running under openSUSE 12.1 with a win 7 client on virtualbox.

I had not used windows for over 10 years until I set up our SSO lan last
month so I don't know much about AD. I read in the Samba 4 docs that you
can drag and drop machines and users onto the AD.

1. Can I run Samba 4 alongside Samba 3 on my test box?
2. Can I migrate users and machines (in my case a few test users and one
w7 virtual machine) from Samba 3 to Samba 4? Is there a script?
3. For the 'drag-and-drop-users. . .' bit, will I need a GUI on my
openSUSE host?
4. Will I need to administrate Samba 4 from windows?
5. Can anyone give me a one liner which starts with 'AD is. . .'
6. Is my setup OK for testing this? Do I need a separate physical
windows client to test it?

Thanks
Steve.