[Samba] ADS Domain Member smb.conf using idmap_ad

Freeman flo at email.unc.edu
Wed Nov 23 06:04:38 MST 2011

Greetings Samba Community,

This is the part where i need help, I don't quite understand what range
of values to put for "idmap uid=RANGE/idmap gid=RANGE" VS "idmap config
AD : range=" for the domain that i have this machine joined.

I would like for someone to provide me with some explanations/examples
to try on those three values. sadly, i am at a lost here. I am pretty
close in getting this machine to work perfectly.
What should be the range values for:
idmap uid=
idmap gid=
idmap config AD : range=

So, my configuration is correct if i were to join a windows 2003 server
domain with users's uid/gid converted on the windows side ?

I should really be using idmap backend = tdb instead of idmap backend = ad.
There was an error in the winbind log about reading not recognized
"idmap backend = ad".
Should this really be "idmap backend = idmap_ad" ?

Freeman