[Samba] samba4 & ldap?

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Nov 18 15:53:00 MST 2011

On 18/11/2011 19:24, David Magda wrote:
> On Thu, November 17, 2011 13:34, John Heim wrote:
>> I am confused... Using an ldap server as a backend for samba4 is not
>> recommended? We are primarily a linux shop. We have an ldap database we
>> use for authentication. I can't use that anymore if I switch to samba4?
> If you don't need to emulate Active Directory, then you should probably
> just stick with the Samba 3.x series. Samba 3 emulates NT-style domain
> membership and for simply single-password/login infrastructure it should
> be sufficient.
>
> Samba 4 is a bit more ambition that that.
>
> Hopefully/Perhaps one day it will support LDAP back-ends more readily, but
> considering it's still in beta (alpha?), I'd guess such functionality is
> barely on the TODO list (assuming it's even technically possible).

Well it's more that it was possible but having this possibility was not
awesome because in fact it was not was people were expecting and in the
same time it meant that we weren't able to support some functionality
that we are able to support with our internal LDAP server.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team