[Samba] getent passwd not returning users/groups

James Chase james at chasecomputers.net
Mon Nov 7 11:09:41 MST 2011

I tried a second install of CentOS with X, thinking perhaps the GUI
setup might do something that I was missing in terms of getting samba
connected to active directory. However I still can't get this to work
(now wbinfo doesn't seem to work either) in CentOS. I also tried Fedora 14.

Then I tried a Ubuntu 11 install and followed their instructions from
the wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryWinbindHowto

And it worked! I tried to apply the same settings to CentOS setup but I
still get no output from 'getent passwd'.

Ubuntu is running version 3.5.11 while CentoS is 3.5.4. Think my best
bet is building from source and trying 3.5.11 or 3.5.12 on CentOS? Are
there any critical flags that need to be set during the configuration to
make sure samba will work with active directory/winbind?

James