[Samba] Samba and non-ASCII host names

Artyom Smirnov smirnoffjr at gmail.com
Mon May 30 04:48:36 MDT 2011

Hi all.

I work in LAN with bunch of windows 7 computers with Russian
localization which has bad habit to put international symbols
(cyrillic symbols in my case) into host name upon installing. I can't
force people to change host names on their computers so I trying to
manage myself. I found some options to manipulate character conversion
and added to config next lines:

dos charset = CP866
unix charset = UTF-8
display charset = UTF-8

It really affect on host names but I still see messed encodings. I
experimented with other encodings in dos charset option without luck.

I tried it on Ubuntu 11.04 with Samba 3.5.8~dfsg-1ubuntu2.2 and Mac OS
X with samba 3.0.28a-apple. I'm sure it not vanilla samba in both
cases but think it generic problem.

What I'm missing?

Thanks.
--