[Samba] XP Clients Showing Incorrect Filenames

Andy Theuninck gohanman at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:39:07 MDT 2011

> Oh how soon we forget :-). Google for DOS 8.3 filename limitation :-).
>
> Remember there are some filenames (containing a : character etc.) that
> Windows can't use.
>
> Jeremy.

If it's 8.3, I don't get what's triggering it. It's not illegal
characters or name length.

To give a specific example, I have a directory full of files like this:
ALBERTS.T111-11111.pdf
ALBERTS.T111-11112.pdf
ALBERTS.T111-11113.pdf
etc

Where literally the *only* difference is the digits. Yet some are
shortened and others aren't.

On a sidenote, the behavior would be tolerable if it wasn't removing
the file extension and thus Windows' ability to identify file type. So
it's more like just 8 shortening; the .3 part is missing.