[Samba] Samba performance

Juan Pablo jhurcad at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 07:34:50 MDT 2011

Hi Volker,

I am using the following socket options:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

I've been testing with lower rcvbuf and sndbuf values but this seems to be the
best. Any advice on how to calculate this value besides trial and error?

Following is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = Workgrouplasp
        encrypt passwords = yes
        security = user
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        netbios name = LASPFS
        server string = LASP Linux File Server
        dns proxy = no
        log level = 1
        oplocks = yes
        level2 oplocks = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536
SO_SNDBUF=65536
        guest account = samba
        map to guest = Bad User
        map to guest = Bad Password
        read raw = yes
        write raw = yes
        max xmit = 65535
        dead time = 15
        getwd cache = yes
        interfaces = 192.168.1.5/255.255.255.0
        bind interfaces only = yes
        socket address = 192.168.1.5
        max protocol = SMB2

[laspfiles]
        comment = Public File Storage
        browseable = yes
        force user = samba
        force group = samba
        path = /srv/samba/filestore/laspfiles
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes

My focus was to tune the fileserver for several 8MB file transfer. Any idea on
how to improve this?

Thanks for your help!

Juan Pablo