[Samba] Cannot authenticate new ldap users (unless they are in /etc/passwd too)

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:28:35 MDT 2011

"pdbedit -Lv username" shd show you the unix user id.

IF you create a new samba user (e.g. with "smbpasswd -a username"  or
"pdbedit ....")
      AND the user does not already exist as a unix user (in ldap or
/etc/passwd)
     THEN smbpasswd (or pdbedit) should complain UNLESS samba is
automatically allocating uid/gid's.

Does smb.conf define an idmap ou in ldap?

Did you try configuring /etc/nsswitch.conf as follows?

     passwd:     files ldap
     shadow:     files ldap
     group:      files ldap

I use Apache Directory Studio for an ldap browser/editor-   that (or a
similar product) may help you poke around ldap and see what is being
created.  I don't have any of the smbldap scripts installed on my
servers.  What version of unix/linux are you using.