[Samba] human understandable log format?

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Wed May 25 08:29:51 MDT 2011

Am 25.05.2011 15:45, schrieb ion coting:
> Anyone... help!?
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM, ion coting <ioncoting at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would like to look at a logfile containing simple summary lines like
>> this:
>>
>> timestamp - client ip - user - action (eg. login, connect to a share) -
>> result (ok, password wrong, permission denied, io error, etc)
>>
>> I find log.smb and log.nmb very complicated and smbaudit too; also i would
>> like to have all this information in a single log gile.
>>
>> How can I achieve this? Is there any native samba combination of options in
>> smb.conf that can result in achieving this type of log? Can (and how?) I
>> configure samba in such a way that some external tools can parse and extract
>> this information from logfiles?
>>
>> thank you

I'd like to see this too, but I don't think it's possible. I have wasted
several hours when debugging samba problems and dealing with
hard-to-read logfiles. But there is no way to configure logging except
for the amount (log level) and destination.

It may help a bit to use substitutions in the log file destinations, so
e.g.using "log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I.%U" in your smb.conf will
create one log file per client and user on the server, like
/var/log/samba/log.10.0.0.24.bob for user bob on client 10.0.0.24.
Still, it's sometimes difficult to get actions and results sorted out.

Bye,
Andreas