[Samba] regpatch writing to local registry hive with -F not working (registery-utils 4.0.0~alpha15~git20110124.dfsg1-2ubuntu1)

RiCH rich at richud.com
Thu May 19 11:33:11 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 09:08 +0200, denis.bonnenfant wrote:

> Wilco Baan Hofman a écrit :

> >> My patch adds a -K option to regpatch for specifying the predef key
> >> where -F registry should be mounted. I will submit it for review soon,
> >> I'm currently experimenting a little bit, and there are still some bugs
> >> in .reg parsing
> >>

> In fact it doesn't make sense to mount regf files to anything but HKCU ,
> so -K option is not necessary, and HKCU can be hardcoded as mountpoint
> for files specified by -F option.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding something here, but if the .reg file is
modifying a software or system key shouldn't regpatch
 mount the appropriate hive,  mounting under HKLM/Software & system
under HKLM/system etc. ?

(I currently am using Ghost's linux ghregedit to do this, but I am
hoping for a license free version, ... I have been searching for a very
long time for something that actually works!)

I was envisaging a usage along these lines;
regpatch -F  /mnt/xp/WINDOWS/ myregpatch.reg #regpatch loads the hives
needed itself based on the WNIDOWS target dir (auto filling
system32/config), this approximates to how ghrededit works
..or more in keeping with how its setup at the moment
regpatch -F  /mnt/something/software,/mnt/something/system
myregpatch.reg #tell it what hives to load

I appreciate all the effort everyone is putting in. Thanks.