[Samba] Profile directories with the wrong name on the Windows Box

J.F.Gratton jean-francois.gratton at videotron.ca
Sun May 15 21:11:31 MDT 2011

Hello,

I've had to reinstall my main fileserver as well as my Windows dev box. The main fileserver went from Fedora 14 (Samba 3.5.x) to Ubuntu 11.04 (Samba 3.5.8); I've kept my original smb.conf and reapplied it on the Ubuntu box.

My windows development box went from Win7 Ultimate x64 to Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1.
As you see, both Samba and the OS versions changed with the reinstalls so I can't be sure of where the change of behaviour can be.

One of the annoying thing I've found is this, and I'm not sure of all its impacts yet; of course if I'm doing something wrong or if there's an explanation/workaround, I'd like to hear about it.

Ok, so here it is:
Linux box running Samba 3.5.8 is named OSLO
Win7 box running Win7 SP1 is named HELSINKI
Domain is DEVNET
- The Win7 box has the registry tweak (suggested on wiki.samba.org) applied so that there's no DNS resolution involved. The machine joins the DEVNET domain without any problem.
- The Win7 has a local admin account created, "jfg" . The jfg account also exists on the linux box, and has been added to samba as well (smbpasswd -a jfg).
- If I log on the Win7 locally (before having joined the DEVNET domain), there's a c:\users\jfg\ directory, where the user's profile resides.
- NORMALLY... once joined to DEVNET, if I logged on the Win7 box using the domain account (thus using DEVNET\jfg), I'd have a c:\users\jfg.devnet\ directory where the profile would reside.
- NOW, what I have is a c:\users\jfg.oslo directory.

It's annoying. Nothing showed in oslo:/var/log/samba/smbd.log.helsinki, so I'm not sure if it's a 3.5.8-related behaviour, or a Win7SP1-related one ?

Is there a way to revert to the former behaviour (assuming I've made no missteps) of c:\users\username.domain instead of c:\users\username.boxname) ?

Below you'll find part of my smb.conf file

Regards,

-- Jeff

==== SMB.CONF (parts)
[global]
workgroup = DEVNET
server string = oslo
log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log.%m
max log size = 5120
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c %u -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
logon path =
logon home =
domain logons = Yes
os level = 33
preferred master = Auto
domain master = Yes
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.248.0.0, 127.0.0.1