[Samba] Bit of complex smb networking... is it possible?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Sat May 14 03:25:28 MDT 2011

Hi Team,

I'm looking for a bit of help to push out an idea...  don't know if what
I'm thinking is even possible so advice and feedback would be great.

CONCEPT

I want to create a shared folder for all users on a subnet that has a
defined amount of space they can use.

So, all the users in 192.168.2.0/24 can see /homes/subnet2space/ as
\\myserver\whatever\

Users connected to 192.168.3.0/24 will see /homes/subnet3space/ as
\\myserver\whatever\

...and so on...

I'm using a Mikrotik RB750 router.

My Debian 6 server is on 192.168.1.12 and I'm runing Samba 3.5.6
(because that's what was in the sources).

ISSUES

1. I don't know if it's even possible to do what I'd like to be able to do.
2.  I don't want my users to have to log on, I just want them to see my
server in their network neighbourhood.
3. I can see my server from my XP machine and my Win7 machine while
they're both on 192.168.1.0/24 addresses.  The minute I put a machine on
another network I can't see the server any more (even though I can ping
the server and use http etc).
4. I have no control over the users machines other than DHCP.  So I have
no idea what workgroup scope the machines are set in, but as I
understand it, I should be able to set the scope from dhcp, is that
correct?  If yes, then what do I need to read about to figure out how to
do that?
5. I ran findsmb on my server and can see the server it self and the xp
machine, but I can't see the win7 machine (I can see all 3 machines from
the XP machine and the Win7 machine).
6. It took an age for the windows machines to resolve my server...
however I don't have a wins server set up...  I'm guessing that I need
to configure my server as the wins server and then change the dhcp
server to include this information?
7.  I don't want users on different networks seeing each other, only
machines on their network and my server on 192.168.1.12.
8. Ideally I want all users to have the same share name (eg
\\myserver\sharespace) so that I can tell everyone the same name and not
have to configure a different share name for every network...
9. Failing 8, I only want users on network x.0/24 to see their share and
not all the shares on my server (of which there would be hundreds).

Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave
Mairehau
Christchurch, New Zealand