[Samba] (Cross ) Install and Conversion problem

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Wed May 11 10:22:46 MDT 2011

From: Arno Steffen <arno.steffen at googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:01:44 +0200

> > On 05/11/2011 05:36 AM, Arno Steffen wrote:
> >>
> >> Now calling smbclient gives me:
> >>
> >> init_iconv: Conversion from UTF-16LE to CP850 not supported
> >> init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from UTF-16LE to ASCII
> >> init_iconv: Conversion from UTF-8 to CP850 not supported
> >> init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from ASCII to ASCII
> >> init_iconv: Conversion from ANSI_X3.4-1968 to CP850 not supported
> >>
> >> What do I missed in installing or configuration?
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >
> > Have you considered building with static libraries (at least to get it
> > working)? On my small cross compiled target, I run configure with
> > --without-shared.  However, I'm using an older branch (3.0).

Have you installed CP437.so and CP850.so at
/usr/local/samba/lib/charset (by default) or linked statically?

Or to set "dos charset = ASCII", you will avoid these errors.

> I have a small embedded device, just want to access windows shares from
> there.

Anyway if you use non-ASCII characters in filenames, not setting "dos
charset" property,  you will have problems.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>