[Samba] (Cross ) Install and Conversion problem

Arno Steffen arno.steffen at googlemail.com
Wed May 11 03:36:39 MDT 2011

With some extra effort of
export samba_cv_CC_NEGATIVE_ENUM_VALUES=0
I could compile Samba3 for ARM.
(./configure --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi --build=i686; make)

As I couldn't install samba on my host with make install (as I
compiled on Intel machine) I just
- copied smbclient, libwbclient.so,
- created an empty /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
- and copied lowcase.dat and upcase.dat to that folder.

Now calling smbclient gives me:

init_iconv: Conversion from UTF-16LE to CP850 not supported
init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from UTF-16LE to ASCII
init_iconv: Conversion from UTF-8 to CP850 not supported
init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from ASCII to ASCII
init_iconv: Conversion from ANSI_X3.4-1968 to CP850 not supported

I have a small embedded device, just want to access windows shares from there.
What do I missed in installing or configuration?

Best regards