[Samba] upgrade samba4 install

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Wed May 11 02:02:00 MDT 2011

Hello,

On 09/05/2011 19:52, derek at podoll.com wrote:
> I have a install of samba4 that I have been using on my home network
> for testing with one PDC and BDC on the local network and a 3rd BDC
> located on another network with IPSEC tunnel between the two
> networks.  The problem I have is all 3 servers are running different
> versions on the samba4 code I would like to get all the system on the
> same code level.  Do any of you know an easy way to do this so I do
> not loose all the account and policy information in the PDC when I
> update it?  either that or is there a backup method anyone would
> recommend before trying it preform any updates.

So depending on your version of samba you'll have to update just the
binaries or also to update the structure and the content of the database.

Best is to first know the version.

Upgrading the binaries is ok there is nothing to do apart from make;make
install , to update the structure we have a tool but for the moment it's
limited to 1 DC (so you have to demote your other server). In theory we
could support multi DC upgrade, but I have a bit of work to do but it
shouldn't be too hard.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou