[Samba] Cant get authenticated readwrite and guest readonly configured properly

Jeff W jeff.w.bulk at gmail.com
Thu May 5 03:15:25 MDT 2011

I should add, I've been going through The Samba Checklist,
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html
to try and figure out what's wrong, but so far all it's helped me figure
out is that there is a problem, the checklist suggests no fixes for the
error messsage that I'm seeing, which is this;

shmee:~# smbclient //SHMEE/porn -Uchris
Enter chris's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client
lanman auth' is disabled
tree connect failed: SUCCESS - 0

I've googled for what these error messages mean but the only pages that
come up are concerning bugs from back around 2003 and Ubuntu pages which
are painfully unhelpful ("I have this problem....", and the next post is
"Nevermind, fixed it" with no explenation of how or why it failed). Any
insight into why it's failing?
The username and password used are both valid on the unix system, I can
ssh in with them.
Thanks for any suggestions in advance.