[Samba] winbind 3.3.1.5 as 2008 r2 domain member | groups are not resolving after couple of hours

Oliver Weinmann oliver.weinmann at vega.de
Thu May 5 01:18:41 MDT 2011

Dear All,

I'm facing a really big issue. We have upgraded our Windows 2003 Domain to 2008 R2. I have configured the smb.conf as follows:

[global]
        realm = A.SPACE.CORP
        workgroup = A
        security = ADS
        encrypt passwords = true
        password server = gedaspw02.a.space.corp gedasvw02.a.space.corp
        idmap config A : backend = ad
        idmap config A : default = yes
        idmap config A : range = 1-999999
        idmap config A : schema_mode = rfc2307
        winbind nss info = rfc2307
        winbind enum users = no
        winbind enum groups = no
        preferred master = no
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        max log size = 50
        log level = 10
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        dns proxy = no
        allow trusted domains = no
        client use spnego = Yes
        use kerberos keytab = true
        winbind refresh tickets = yes
        idmap cache time = 60
        winbind cache time = 60

When I login as a domain user I always see the following error in /var/log/messages:

May  5 08:10:18 gedaiv22 winbindd[25108]:   ERROR: Initialization failed for alloc backend, deferred!

The login works fine, but after a couple of hours, the users report that the groupids are no longer resolving.

This is really a big issue and google is no help. :(

Is there a recommendation what winbind version to use with windows 2008 r2? I used the latest rpm packages from sernet.

Regards,
Oli