[Samba] Samba Tuning to increase Throughput

vijay vijay vijays2010 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Mar 25 01:20:28 MDT 2011

Hi All,

I have gone through threads related to throughput issue in this list. Found few
similar issue, but could not get the solution.

So looking for some advice from group.

I am trying to use the samba to access a USB disk connected to our evaluation
board which has xtensa core running at 400 MHz.

Samba 3.5.x is running on the board. We are getting below throughput as tested
with the colasoft capsa software on the client PC.

Read:    27.9 mbps
Write :  24.5 mbps

Some memory  info on my system–
# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:          99788 kB
MemFree:           16872 kB
Buffers:              12 kB
Cached:            30504 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:             8880 kB
Inactive:          27952 kB
Active(anon):       6336 kB
Inactive(anon):        0 kB
Active(file):       2544 kB
Inactive(file):    27952 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:          6332 kB
Mapped:             1984 kB
Slab:              42292 kB
SReclaimable:       1868 kB
SUnreclaim:        40424 kB
PageTables:          232 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:       49892 kB
Committed_AS:       9636 kB
VmallocTotal:     131007 kB
VmallocUsed:        3296 kB
VmallocChunk:     115927 kB
#

I was trying to find the where the bottleneck is? Initially thought issue could
be at the USB,

But when we tested only USB (without samba) throughput it was coming
Read:    162.5 mbps
Write :  80 mbps
So with this it appears that some bottleneck is because of the use of samba.

When I tried to access same USB disk with Linux using samba, throughput was
more.
Read:    157.9 mbps
Write :  134.5 mbps

So it appears that samba is not correctly configured on my board .
Any pointers what we should investigate in this?
Any help would be highly appreciated?

Regards,
Vijay