[Samba] compressed file VFS

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:33:04 MDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Andreas Moroder
<andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> we have a clinical system that generate lot of files that once written are
> never changed. This file consume lot of disk and tape space*, so my idea was
> to compress this files. The problem is that it can happen, that the users
> have to open this files later.
>
> Is there a VFS module for samba that show gzipped** read only files as if
> they were standard files ?

On top of the fuse modules mentioned a previous link, there are also 3
filesystems under linux that support compression. btrfs, reiser4 and
zfs. All like the fuse modules are considered experimental and I would
avoid reiser4 since the main developer Hans Reiser is in jail.

John