[Samba] compressed file VFS

Andreas Moroder andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it
Wed Mar 30 07:41:16 MDT 2011

Hallo,

we have a clinical system that generate lot of files that once written
are never changed. This file consume lot of disk and tape space*, so my
idea was to compress this files. The problem is that it can happen, that
the users have to open this files later.

Is there a VFS module for samba that show gzipped** read only files as
if they were standard files ?

Bye
Andreas

* Disks are cheap, but the are no more disk-slots in the server and the
server has to be up 24*7 so we can not simply change the disks

** bzip2 would be preferable because of the better compression, but the
orginal size is not stored in the header so I assume it can not be used
for this purpose