[Samba] Is it possible to use Samba as a proxy and cache for a slow CIFS drive ?

Tue Mar 29 04:07:04 MDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:29:53AM +0200, Martin Gilly wrote:
> I've been talking to a setup of WAN-Accell/WAFS vendors
> (Expand, Riverbed, Certeon, BlusCoat) in the last weeks
> but their strategies do not work in my setup because they
> never store-and-forward but rather stay synchronous with
> the backend and optimize the WAN-CIFS traffic and this is
> not of help for me as this optimization does not yield any
> benefits on the LAN and staying in sync with the backend
> keeps the bad performance :-/

You have two options: Be correct or be fast. The WAN
accellerators trend to the "correct" side of this game. If
you really do heavy caching, then you inevitably end up with
coherency problems.

> With Alfresco, I was not able to acceive and progess -
> they tend to just not answer anymore once you tell tell
> you did the basic tuning they recommend and still have
> issues :-(

Well, push harder. A factor of 6 is quite a lot I think that
should be possible to overcome.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9