[Samba] samba howto: sticky bit on directories

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Mon Mar 28 03:02:29 MDT 2011

Werner Durgarten wrote:
> The Samba Howto Collection http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-
> HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html#id2611229 says:
>
> "When the set user or group ID bit (s) is set on a directory, then all
> files created within it will be owned by the user and/or group whose
> `set user or group' bit is set. "
>
> while i cannot repoduce this behavior the wikipedia says:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid#setuid_and_setgid_on_directories
>
> "The setuid permission set on a directory is ignored on UNIX and Linux
> systems "
>
> either there is an error in the howto, or maybe its just time for me to
> start the weekend ;-)

On CentOS 5.4, the section "26.1 Structure of File Permissions" in "info chmod" states that the setuid bit has no effect on directories, but that the setgid bit does, on some systems, set the gid of files created in the directory.

The setgid bit certainly works for Samba group directories; we've never tried setuid.  I guess it may have worked in the past, but doesn't any more.  Try it from the command line: if it doesn't work there, it won't from Samba.

Moray.
“To err is human; to purr, feline.”