[Samba] Winbindd where to use it ? in which environnement ?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:34:28 MDT 2011

If you have domain with the following specs-  you do not need winbind
     - samba PDC
     - no samba member servers
     - samba BDC's optional
     - no trusted domains

You would need winbind in any of  following cases-
     -  you have a Samba PDC but you need to trust Windows domains
    -  you have a Samba server that is a member of a domain.

In the two cases above-  winbind allocates and manages  unix uid's and
gid's for the accounts from windows domains.

You may also need winbind if you have a samba PDC but also samba member
server(s)-  again, to allocate unix uid's and gid's for users from the
domain  (this depends on if you have a command LDAP/NIS backend for unix
accounts.)