[Samba] Samba authentication problem

Xamindar junkxamindar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:47:16 MDT 2011

On 03/24/2011 03:55 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 03:44:51PM -0700, Xamindar wrote:
>> On 03/24/2011 03:33 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>>> Share level security doesn't automatically mean no password.
>>> Either use the password for user xamindar, or add
>> Like I stated in the first post, it is not accepting the password for
>> "xamindar". It spits back that it is wrong and in the logs I see
>> "create_connection_server_info failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD". The
>> password is correct. It works fine with security set to user. I have
>> tested with the mount command in linux and with a Vista machine, neither
>> are able to connect.
>>

>>> "map to guest = Bad Password"
>>>
>> When this is set it will ALWAYS connect as guest because it is not
>> accepting any valid passwords.
>>
>>> in the [global] section of your smb.conf. See the
>>> smb.conf man page for details.
>> Thanks for the recommendations.
>>>
>>> Jeremy.
>> Am I missing something vital when security is set to share?
>
> Sounds like a bug in your version of the cifsfs kernel
> module. With security=share try connecting with the
> same password using smbclient. If it correctly connects
> then it's cifsfs screwing up somehow.
>
> Jeremy.
It still rejects it with this messege:

# smbclient //172.16.0.7/backup -U xamindar
Enter xamindar's password:
Domain=[RADNIMAX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.8]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client
lanman auth' is disabled
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I did type the password even though it is saying no password is
supplied. I tried enabling 'client lanman auth' and restarting the
server but I still get the same message when trying to connect.