[Samba] Mac OS X user having problems connecting to samba running on Ubuntu Server

Amit More amore at xetus.com
Mon Mar 21 19:16:58 MDT 2011

Hello all,

After spending some time looking into the problem, I have found out that changing the hostname of the machine on which samba was running to be 16(or less) characters long did the trick. With "internalfileserver"(which is 18 characters long) as hostname Mac users were not able to connect to the share via "connect to server"(apple + k) application but could connect via the command line. Changing the hostname to "fileserver"(which is 10 characters long) allowed Mac users to connect to the share via "connect to server" application as well as via the command line.

I am not able to figure this out. I will share it with samba users once i find something useful.

Thanks,
Amit More