[Samba] Authentication to an Open Directory Master

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Fri Mar 18 07:54:02 MDT 2011

Hi !

I struggle for the last month or so (part time of course) to connect my
local samba server (to be a file server) to an Open Directory (Mac OS X)
master, it's samba part is configure as a PDC.

So, my samba server is a linux (RHEL/CentOS 6), version 3.5.4.68.el6_0.2 on
a local net composed of a mixture of Windows (from XP to 7), macs and linux.
Those a our workstation.

The OD Master is at a different site, on a different subnet, but accessible
via a point to point connection.

So, the only way I found to be able to autheticate to the OD users are as
follow :

[global]
workgroup = cybercatwg
server string = Hamel2
netbios name = HAMEL2

security = domain
password server = odmaster
encrypt passwords = yes
wins server = 192.168.110.251

192.168.110.251 is my OD master. Our localnet is 192.168.7.0/24.

I did have to do :

net join -S odmaster -U diradmin

to join the odmaster domain on the linux file server.

Now, with this, on my local linux server, I can do :

smbclient -U oduser -L //192.168.7.45

and enter that user password, and get a list of the shares. But from any
other computer on my localnet, I just get a wrong password,
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE or other. My logs don't say anything out of the
ordinary...

Can any one give me some direction as where to look ?

Regards,