[Samba] Performance with XP64

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Tue Mar 15 15:18:07 MDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>wrote:

> > That's what I'd expect if things are as broken as they look from that
> dump:
> > the client (XP) isn't buffering requests at all, so the window caps out
> at
> > 64k.  The mail from earlier[1] suggests that some people get much better
> > speed from other servers (though without enough information to really be
> > useful).  I don't know the protocol, so I can't tell if there's something
> > preventing the client from buffering multiple read requests, for example,
> > which I'd expect of any network FS.
>
> Can you get us a network trace of the fast reads from a
> Windows server?

I don't have any faster servers to compare to.  I've assumed for a long time
that 50-60MB/sec was simply the best you can do with SMB1.  It's the mail I
saw earlier (as well as the one below) that made me want to double-check
this, to make sure that, for example, there's nothing wrong with my system
preventing request buffering.

(It's frustrating not being able to move my bulk storage out of my work area
because of this--halving the streaming speed of my drives from 100 to
50MB/sec is just too much of a penalty.)

Here's another one (with much more information, thankfully), claiming
70MB/sec reads and 100MB/sec writes, specifically with a single stream.
That's at least notably better than 55 (which I see for both reads and
writes, by the way).  It's Win7 on the client, not XP64, but still would be
interesting to compare.  I'll send a mail off-list asking for a trace,
unless someone happens to already know the difference so I don't have to
bother someone about an old thread.
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-June/156653.html

--
Glenn Maynard