[Samba] delete file being transferred

Tue Mar 15 02:15:06 MDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:48:33PM -0400, Chaojie.Xiao at emc.com wrote:
> I am currently using lvm snapshot. if I am uploading a big
> file to samba share folder and during the transmission I
> want to make a snapshot with lvcreate for the volume where
> share folder is.
>
> If I make snapshot when file is still transferred it might
> exist some issue because the file is not complete.
>
> So I want to know is there any method to delete the file
> that is being transferred if I want to make a snapshot.

In the latest not yet released versions we have added the
option "log writeable files on exit = yes/no". This logs
all files that have been open for writing when an smbd exits
unexpectedly for some reason. With that option you will at
least know which files have been in that situation and take
care of them properly. You can find the corresponding patch
at

http://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=b2f45f20

Please be aware that just shutting down Samba will lead to
corrupt files. We added that message for administrators who
want to be informed about those potentially corrupt files.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9