[Samba] delete file being transferred

Chaojie.Xiao at emc.com Chaojie.Xiao at emc.com
Mon Mar 14 20:48:33 MDT 2011

I am currently using lvm snapshot. if I am uploading a big file to samba share folder and during the transmission I want to make a snapshot with lvcreate for the volume where share folder is.

If I make snapshot when file is still transferred it might exist some issue because the file is not complete.

So I want to know is there any method to delete the file that is being transferred if I want to make a snapshot.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:14:04PM -0400, Chaojie.Xiao at emc.com wrote:
> Hi ,all
>
>                 the situation is that:  when I upload a big file to share folder in samba and during the transmission I want to make snapshot for the share folder.
>
>                 So I have to stop the samba service to make the snapshot. After I stop samba service, the transmission is stopped but the file that is not transferred completely is still in the share folder.
>
>                 so I want to know how to delete the file that is not transferred completely after I stop the transmission to make snapshot.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ? What kind of snapshots
are you using, and why do you have to stop Samba to do this ?

Sounds like you might need a custom VFS module to communicate
with your snapshot service ?

Jeremy.