[Samba] Performance with XP64

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Mar 14 19:24:21 MDT 2011

What sort of performance is expected over GigE, with Samba 3 as the
server and XP64 as the client?  I havn't been able to find any current
benchmarks at all.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-June/156708.html talks about
the same configuration, and suggests that the protocol should be able
to break 100MB/sec.  (Unfortunately, the poster disappeared without
following up.)  Focusing on read throughput (Samba to XP64), I see
about the same performance as he did, around 50 MB/sec; with HTTP
97.7M/sec.  Modern HDDs can regularly hit 100MB/sec, so halving
throughput for large file copies is painful.

I've always assumed this was just a limitation of the protocol on a
link much faster than it was designed for, but that post suggests
otherwise.  He didn't mention if the Server 2008 system he was
comparing against had large frames enabled, though, which I've never
had much luck with.

(I'll wait until asked before digging out hardware/configuration info,
traces and so on; if the performance I'm seeing is already optimal
then I won't bother.  I'm on 3.4.0, which is what's packaged with my
version of Ubuntu; I'll also try upgrading to 3.5.x if that's likely
to help.)

--
Glenn Maynard