[Samba] Samba file share slowdown

James Hurlburt hurlburtjl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 18:38:20 MST 2011

The thought was that the dos workstations would be unhappy with ntfs.
I may well have been wrong there.

I found the key bit.  For a share with multiple stations sharing dbf
files using CA clipper 5.2 as the program language, optlocks need to
be off.

The part about clipper and dbf files may not be a specific part of my
problem, multiple stations attempting to share read/write acess
certainly is.

We have half a dozen or so dbf files that are heavily shared between
perhaps 30 workstations.
Setting oplocks off made a huge difference.

The online help seems to suggest the opposite-- that oplocks would be
a positive influence on multiple access useage, the chapter in the
docs that I finally found that explains it wasn't easy to find.  I
didn't find it till someone else suggested this fix.  When I searched
with that question in mind I found it.

Thanks for your help, overall samba is a very good thing.
Jim Hurlburt
Yakima, WA