[Samba] Sloe reponse using net use command

M RIDDINGTON mark.riddington6 at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 11 13:21:42 MST 2011

We are using

Fedora: 14
Samba: 3.5.6-71.fc14

To connect our Windows XP workstations to the Linux box and Samba shares, we use

net use ....

run three times to connect to the three shares on the Linux box.

This works but there is a considerable delay when the net use command executes.
Eventuatually (after about 5 seconds) we get the response "the command completed
successfully" after which we can see the shares in Windows Explorer and happily
read and write to them.

We are concerned that:

1. there is a 5 second delay which we do not get on a similar set up using
Fedora 7 with Samba on another Linux box. The two Linux boxes have identical smb
config files;
2. there may be something more sinister going on which will give trouble in the
future.

Has anyone experienced this problem and been able to solve it.

Thanks

Mark