[Samba] Default Keyboard Layout changed to english.

Kalev Riivik kalevr at iisaku.edu.ee
Fri Mar 11 02:59:49 MST 2011

Hello,
i wanted to let you know, that i got it fixed... so thanks to everyone
who responded. The problem was (as you said) in SID. Unfortunately i
didn't know anything about SID-s so i had to do a bit research about it.
I decided to write what i did to fix it (in case someone else has the
same problem).

1. i checked the current sid ("net getlocalsid" and "net getdomainsid")
2. since i didn't have a clue what my previous sid was, i did a bit of
research. Finally, what i came up with was this.. on xp i used
regedit.exe and went HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList there was list of all users who had logged
onto this machine... there i noticed that if i remove last (4 i think)
numbers I'd get the domain sid. From there i just found a user who
hadn't logged in a long time and got the old sid.
3. changed the sid on PDC with "net setlocalsid sidgoeshere" and "net
setdomainsid sidgoeshere" ("net setlocalsid
S-1-5-21-1724097787-4134227269-272652245" for example)
4. Then i restarted samba and at first it seemed like it didn't work (so
i tried to delete local copies of profiles and all kinds of things), but
as it turns out it worked out fine. (i deleted NTUSER* files from a
single profile and it seemed to work after that, but i don't think it
was necessary, because i didn't do that /or anything else/ to other
profiles/computer and they worked just fine on their own).

PS: Keyboard layout, images from desktop not opening, media player and
adobe premiere not working.... all of that was solved with that as well.

@naxto: no need to get so offended. I did say i was a noob when it comes
to Linux... so obviously i haven't even heard of virtualization
techniques etc. (my idea of testing was to upgrade my laptop which had
similar setup... and check /var/log for any errors.... but since i
didn't have any client pc-s to test roaming profiles in my home... i
failed). I wasn't trying to say, that samba screwed up my system... i
know it was my fault... i just said, that it was related to samba (witch
it was). Since I've accustomed to windows, i just installed updates
without reading anything (didn't even know about changelogs), because
like some ppl say... windows is for dumb-users :) so it usually warns
during installation if updates contain some radical changes (again my
fault for not knowing). I'm still learning to use Linux correctly, so if
i gave you an impression, that i was dissing Samba or Linux (or their
respective developers), then i'm sorry.

Now if u excuse me i'm gonna continue bouncing around the room with
happiness, cuz my PDC works as it should again.

With gratitude,
Kalev

10.03.2011 17:50, Jean-Jacques Moulis kirjutas: