[Samba] samba 3.5.7 tries to authenticate on ADS by machine name, not username

Geoff Winkless samba at geoff.dj
Thu Mar 3 02:55:45 MST 2011

On 3 March 2011 08:27, Geoff Winkless <samba at geoff.dj> wrote:
> log.smbd suggests that the system is trying to authenticate with the
> client machine name as the username (wtf?).

Interestingly, if I force authentication with the correct username
using (on the XP box)

net use \\guava\$ /user:XXXX\geoff.winkless

everything works fine, which suggests that XP is defaulting to sending
the "wrong" information.

Upping the debug level does confirm that XP doesn't send the username
in the authentication packets. Is there some machine-trust mechanism
that XP is trying to make use of that samba doesn't understand? Should
samba be returning "I don't understand that, what's your username??"
to the XP client, rather than trying to read the machine name as a
username?