[Samba] Advice for W2K migration to samba

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Thu Mar 3 01:17:31 MST 2011

Hallo,
     I'm running a W2K AD network with about 20 clients (mostly Windows
XP machines, some Ubuntu 10.04 clients). I also have a couple of samba
servers (debian 5) which are joined to the domain.
I need to upgrade from W2K to something which is not EOL.
The AD server is also a print server for the domain.
I only have about 20 user accounts, so recreating them from scratch
would be not a big problem.
Also, the user profiles are not stored on the server (no roaming profiles).
I read samba4 is still in alpha stage (alpha14 is listed on the wiki),
but in terms of functionality provided is would the best replacement for
my AD server.
I would be glad to hear from someone who has done the switch from W2K AD
to samba3 or samba4. Also, any advice or success/failure stories in
similar setups would be great.
Thanks in advance.

--
Marcello Romani