[Samba] Samba WINS issues over VPN

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:44:08 MST 2011

I am running Samba 3.4.8 as a PDC on Solaris 10.    I recently made this
the WINS master-  previously the BDC (Samba 3.0.37 on another Solaris 10
server.)

I also use Sonicwall ipsec VPN for remote access (Windows XP clients.)
The sonicwall client creates a virtual NIC on the client so that the
client can have an IP address directly on the company LAN (ie. the same
LAN as the samba servers.)  I can, via dhcp, assign the WINS server IP
to the sonicwall clients.

All ports should be open through the firewall between the sonicwall
client NIC and the corporate LAN.   VPN clients can map network drives
to windows or samba servers over the VPN.   NetBIOS broadcasts may be
blocked.

It appears to that WINS functionality does not work over VPN.     There
are two pieces of evidence:

1.  No Wins.dat registration over VPN.
On the WINS server, I can view look at the wins.dat file to see which
machines registered with the wins server.     If I connect from an XP
laptop over the VPN, I do not see the machine in wins.dat.  (It does get
added to browse.dat.)

2. NBlookup fails over VPN.
Microsoft provides a tool called "nblookup" for doing NetBios name
lookups by querying a name server.    You can optionally specify the
WINS server if the client is not configured to use one, or it you want
to query a different WINS server.

     e.g nblookup SOMEMACHINE
            nblookup -s IP_OF_WINS_SERVER SOMEMACHINE

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830578

If the XP laptop is connected directly to the corporate LAN,  nblookup
works fine.     If the XP laptop is connected via VPN, then nblookup
fails, even if I specify the wins server IP address.  I tried this with
both the current WINS server as well as the old WINS server (prior to
the cutover.)

I would appreciate advice.

Thanks