[Samba] Map multiple NT users to the same Unix user with tdbsam

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 2 02:25:36 MST 2011

Christian Aichinger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have an NTFS partition on an USB HDD mounted with uid=1000, gid=1000.
> Several users should be able to backup to that partition via Samba shares.
> They should be able to log in each with their own user/pass. I'd rather

With ntfs-3g you can have standard Posix ownership and protections.
A simple way to do that is to use the mount option "permissions"
instead of forcing uid and gid.

You can even define a per-user SID to record the permissions with
the same parameters as you would get if the ntfs device were
plugged into the user Windows workstation.

See
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/ownership-and-permissions/

> not have a separate unix account (/etc/passwd) for each of them (plus
> that runs into trouble with the uid==gid==1000 problem on the NTFS
> partition; I'd rather not set the whole NTFS disk world-writeable to
> circumvent that). And I'd really like to avoid ldap, sticking with tdbsam.
>
> What I wish I could do was having multiple user/password combinations on
> the Windows side and map them all to one user on the unix side.

Having individual protections imply having different accounts, of course.

Jean-Pierre