[Samba] Access to a share resource without password

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:36:29 MST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM, J. L. Cabral <jelocabral at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris I tried to connect with -U % and see:
>
> Debian:~# smbclient //10.4.133.109/share -U %
> Domain=[CASA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33-3.29.el5_5.1]
> smb: \> ls
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \*

if security isn't in your testparm, them something is odd with how you
entered it.  I think user is the default, test with this:
testparm -v | grep security

Also check your guest settings, this will show what account samba will
use for anonymous access, among other things:
testparm -v | grep guest

Make sure the account listed can access the directory you are sharing,
or use "force user" to override the shares filesystem access, which is
what the howto does.

Also, i never use smbusers file for anything, ever.  I find that it
only adds confusion.