[Samba] win98se logon

Jeff Savastano savastano.jeff at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 08:22:57 MDT 2011

Hi all,

hope someone can help me out with this.   out of the blue all of my win98
machines (4 of them) cant access my domain.  I know they should be upgraded to a
XP, but the app that we use on them only runs on 98.  the error i get on logon
is:

the domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server
has been denied.

at first i was thinking that it was the win98 machine, only one of them was
having a problem, but they all now have the problem.  this problem first started
on monday.  i finally got the machine to logon on after i dleted all of the
network info and reinstalled.  but the next day the same problem, and the
reinstall didnt work.

does any one have any ideas

smb.conf

[global]
 workgroup = COZY
 netbios name = COZY_SRV
 server string = Cozy Samba Server
 passdb backend = tdbsam
 security = user
 client ntlmv2 auth = yes
 wins support = Yes
 wins proxy = No
 lanman auth = yes
 ntlm auth = Yes

 add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
 delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
 add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
 delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
 add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
 add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null  -g machines
%u

 # The following specifies the default logon script
 # Per user logon scripts can be specified in the user
 # account using pdbedit logon script = logon.bat
 # This sets the default profile path.
 # Set per user paths with pdbedit
 logon drive = H:
 logon script = logon.bat
 domain logons = Yes
 os level = 35
 preferred master = Yes
 domain master = Yes
 logon path =
  logon home =

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 valid users = %S
 read only = No
[netlogon]
 comment = Network Logon Service
 path = /data/scripts
# path = /var/lib/samba/netlogons/scripts
 browseable = No
 read only = No
# For profiles to work, create a user directory under the
# path shown.
# mkdir -p /var/lib/samba/profiles/john
[Profiles]
 comment = Roaming Profile Share