[Samba] Problem getting Samba fully working

Moe, John jmoe at hatch.com.au
Tue Jun 28 15:35:54 MDT 2011

Sorry, it's been pointed out that the list strips attachments.  Here's my smb.conf, in case it helps someone.

There are numerous howto's for this sort of thing all over the web, and trying to keep track of which bits are needed for a given setup is difficult.  Maybe in all my reading, I came away with some bad assumptions, and I need to check them.  Let's take FreeRadius out of the picture for the moment; I only mentioned it in case it was interfering/interacting with Samba.  Basically, I'm trying to get a virtual machine on my network, with a Gentoo Linux OS, to be able to allow logins based on AD accounts, so the other network admins can administer this server, and for ntlm_auth to return success or failure of a user's authentication request (which will be needed for step 2: FreeRadius).  I don't need shares, although it'd be handy so I can transfer files to and from the box.

1) To get this to work, I assumed from my reading I needed Kerberos.
2) I also assumed that "best practice" would be for this server to join the domain.
3) I assumed that tdb was the correct backend for this setup, not LDAP.

Can anyone speak to these assumptions?

[global]
  add user script = /usr/local/bin/addsambauser %u
  client lanman auth = no
  client ntlmv2 auth = yes
  client use spnego = yes
  disable netbios = yes
  domain master = no
  encrypt passwords = yes
  idmap alloc backend = tdb
#  Defaults to tdb
  idmap backend = tdb
  idmap gid = 10000 - 99999
  idmap uid = 10000 - 99999
  lanman auth = no
  kerberos method = system keytab
  netbios name = MYSERVERNAME
  ntlm auth = yes
#  Defaults to tdbsam
  passdb backend = tdbsam
  password server = mygc.my.domain.name, mygc2.my.domain.name
  preferred master = no
  realm = MY.DOMAIN.NAME
  security = ads
  server string = %h (Samba)
  template homedir = /home/%D/%U
  template shell = /bin/bash
  use spnego = yes
  winbind enum groups = yes
  winbind enum users = yes
  winbind expand groups = yes
  winbind nested groups = yes
  winbind refresh tickets = yes
  winbind use default domain = yes
  workgroup = NTDOMAINNAME

[tmp]
  comment = temporary files
  path = /tmp
  read only = yes

John H. Moe
Network Support - Hatch IT
HATCH
Tel: +61 (7) 3166 7777
Direct: +61 (7) 3166 7684
Fax: +61 (7) 3368 3754
Mobile: +61 438 772 425
61 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, Queensland Australia 4011