[Samba] Windows 7 caching credentials breaks with hibernation

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:11:44 MDT 2011

I am running Samba 3.5.5 on Solaris 10.  I have one machine as a PDC,
one as a BDC.

If I logon to the domain from a Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)  laptop,
hibernate the machine, unplug the network cable and wake the machine, I
can not unlock the screen.   I will get the message "There are currently
no logon servers available to service the logon request."  Other users
have reported this.

I am able to switch users and login as another domain user (assuming
that that user had logged in at least once to the domain.)

If I reboot the laptop, I am still unable to log into the domain.   This
suggests to me that the cached credentials are deleted when I log into
the network, cached again when I log out, but not cached on a hibernation.

I also have two Windows Active Directory domains which are separate from
the samba domain.  If I join the Windows 7 pro  to either domain, I do
not have a problem with hibernating and disconnecting.   I know that the
client handles the caching, but I think with Samba it would be caching
NTLM passwords while with Active Directory it would be caching Kerberos
passwords.

XP Pro laptops do not have a problem with hibernation and cached
credentials.   I suspect that the cached credentials might get updated
but not actually deleted.

I also have a problem with using offline files in Windows 7 with a Samba
domain-   if I enable offline files in the "sync center" I am unable to
log in offline.   Not sure why, and offline files aren't actually that
important, but I suspect it is related.

Any advice?

Thanks