[Samba] filesystem of choice?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Jun 26 18:18:10 MDT 2011

On 6/26/2011 5:13 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 01:09:38AM -0700, Christ Schlacta wrote:
>> ZFSonLinux is very nearly production ready, and I'm preparing to
>> deploy it soon on a home server.  Just a few minor niceties missing
>> for now, but all the essential features are in place, and the bugs
>> are only trickling in and nothing major's come up in a while.
>>
>> I'd certainly not trust it to a ~100TB multi server multi SAN
>> environment yet, but soon~  zvol has been there from zfs for a
>> while, so if you want xfs on ZFS in your environment, that's the
>> closest I'd trust it in production yet.
>
> Is this the ZFS port to the Linux kernel ? If so it's interesting
> but rather limiting as the CDDL license makes it impossible for
> anyone to distribute as a combined work - rules out adoption by
> and Linux distros or commercial entities for example :-(.
>
> Shame, really does seem like a nice filesystem.

Exactly.  What puzzles me is that Oracle released BTRFS under GPL.
Oracle now owns ZFS as well.  Why aren't they GPL'ing ZFS for full
inclusion in Linux, and filesystem licensing consistency?  Do they fear
this eroding SPARC box sales?  Other market forces have almost killed
SPARC already so I can't see that as a legitimate concern.  Ellison
obviously has some $$ reason for not GPL'ing ZFS, whether based in
market reality or not.

--
Stan