[Samba] Problem getting Samba fully working

Moe, John jmoe at hatch.com.au
Sun Jun 26 18:14:05 MDT 2011

Thanks for the reply.  Maybe I haven't made myself clear in the first
post.  I'm not asking for any help relating to FreeRadius; I just want
to get basic Samba working properly.  Share browsing via guest access
works, and I get a number of other successes from other tests, but I
can't seem to get login using AD username working, neither locally nor
via SSH.

To get integration with a native Windows 2003 AD domain, I was to
understand I needed Kerberos; was that wrong?  Maybe I've complicated
things a bit here.

As to the login problem: I'm using OpenSSH on Cygwin on my Win7 PC, and
it doesn't matter if I try:

ssh servername
ssh user at servername
ssh domain\user at servername
ssh 'user at my.domain.name'@servername

They all return the same things in /var/log/messages:

Jun 27 09:58:05 servername sshd[27461]: SSH: Server;Ltype:
Version;Remote: 10.73.24.60-18606;Protocol: 2.0;Client: OpenSSH_5.8
Jun 27 09:58:05 servername sshd[27461]: Invalid user
username at my.domain.name from 10.73.24.60
Jun 27 09:58:05 servername sshd[27463]: pam_tally2(sshd:auth):
pam_get_uid; no such user
Jun 27 09:58:08 servername sshd[27463]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass;
user unknown
Jun 27 09:58:08 servername sshd[27463]: pam_unix(sshd:auth):
authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=
mypcname.my.domain.name
Jun 27 09:58:08 servername sshd[27463]: pam_winbind(sshd:auth): getting
password (0x00000090)
Jun 27 09:58:08 servername sshd[27463]: pam_winbind(sshd:auth):
pam_get_item returned a password
Jun 27 09:58:09 servername sshd[27461]: error: PAM: Authentication
failure for illegal user <username OR DOMAIN\\username OR
username at my.domain.name> from mypcname.my.domain.name
Jun 27 09:58:09 servername sshd[27461]: Failed keyboard-interactive/pam
for invalid user <username OR DOMAIN\\username OR
username at my.domain.name> from 10.73.24.60 port 18606 ssh2
Jun 27 09:58:09 servername sshd[27464]: pam_tally2(sshd:auth):
pam_get_uid; no such user

And the same two lines in /var/log/samba/log.wb-DOMAINNAME:

[2011/06/27 10:03:39,  1]
rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:949(cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu)
  cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code
DCERPC_FAULT_ACCESS_DENIED received from host MYGC.my.domain.name!

Logging in via console (as 'user', 'domain/user' and
'user at my.domain.name') gives the same output in the Samba log, and a
slightly different set of errors in /var/log/messages:

Jun 27 10:06:44 servername login[1707]: pam_tally2(login:auth):
pam_get_uid; no such user
Jun 27 10:06:47 servername login[1707]: pam_unix(login:auth): check
pass; user unknown
Jun 27 10:06:47 servername login[1707]: pam_unix(login:auth):
authentication failure; logname=LOGIN uid=0 euid=0 tty=/dev/tty2 ruser=
rhost=
Jun 27 10:06:47 servername login[1707]: pam_winbind(login:auth): getting
password (0x00000090)
Jun 27 10:06:47 servername login[1707]: pam_winbind(login:auth):
pam_get_item returned a password
Jun 27 10:06:51 servername login[1707]: FAILED LOGIN (3) on '/dev/tty2'
FOR 'UNKNOWN', Authentication failure

Does this add any useful info?

John H. Moe
Network Support - Hatch IT
HATCH
Tel: +61 (7) 3166 7777
Direct: +61 (7) 3166 7684
Fax: +61 (7) 3368 3754
Mobile: +61 438 772 425
61 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, Queensland Australia 4011
NOTICE - This message from Hatch is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or proprietary.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain viruses. By communicating with us via e-mail, you accept such risks.  When addressed to our clients, any information, drawings, opinions or advice (collectively, "information") contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing agreements.  Where no such agreement exists, the recipient shall neither rely upon nor disclose to others, such information without our written consent.  Unless otherwise agreed, we do not assume any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the information set out in this e-mail.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy and delete the message from your computer.