[Samba] Fwd: getent group fails - fixed

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 24 01:56:52 MDT 2011

On 24 June 2011 05:48, Christian PERRIER <bubulle at debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Dermot (paikkos at googlemail.com):
>
>> Perhaps I am not understanding you correctly because that runs counter
>> my experience. The settings in my /etc/ldap/ldap.conf were correct
>> whereas the ones in /etc/libnss-ldap.conf were not. It was the search
>> filters from libnss-ldap.conf that were being used when I did `getent
>> group`. I think your telling me that getent is tied to the nss
>> framework so would use that config because that's what I told
>> nsswitch.conf to do. I would have thought, but I am no expert, that
>> samba would have used the config from smb.conf and that ldapsearch
>> (and anything else that didn't have hooks else where) would use
>> /etc/ldap/ldap.conf.
>

> Please note that Debian has *two* packages for nss-ldap:
>
> mykerinos:/home/cperrier# apt-cache search nss ldap naming service
> libnss-ldap - NSS module for using LDAP as a naming service
> libnss-ldapd - NSS module for using LDAP as a naming service
>
> IIRC (but you probably want to check this), the latter is more
> actively maintained than the former.

I asked about that on the samba IRC two days ago:

(14:33:17) <>: On my distro (Debian), I have two options for NSS 1)
libnss_ldap and 2) libnss_ldapd (Source: nss-pam-ldapd) . Does anyone
know which one I should use?

now I have my answer but it looks like I installed the lesser
maintained version :/

	libnss_ldap.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib/libnss_ldap.so.2
	libnss_ldap.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libnss_ldap.so
	libnss_ldap-2.7.so (libc6,x86-64) => /lib/libnss_ldap-2.7.so

Thanks,
Dermot.