[Samba] Fwd: getent group fails - fixed

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Jun 23 07:54:53 MDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 02:20:56PM +0100, Dermot wrote:
> I would have thought, but I am no expert, that
> samba would have used the config from smb.conf and that ldapsearch
> (and anything else that didn't have hooks else where) would use
> /etc/ldap/ldap.conf.

In smb.conf you specify those things which have meaning only to samba.
But the non-samba-specific bits are configured in /etc/ldap/ldap.conf.
For example, if you are using ldaps or ldap+tls (which you really
should), how are you going to tell samba where to find the CA cert that
authenticated the certs of your ldap servers?  Answer: you put the
correct ssl-relevant config into /etc/ldap/ldap.conf (or
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf on RedHat-based distributions).  Samba is using
the openldap client libraries, after all.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.