[Samba] Fwd: getent group fails - fixed

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Jun 23 06:14:40 MDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 01:00:55PM +0100, Dermot wrote:
> Found it.
>
> It turns out that the config file for libnss-ldap is
> /etc/libnss-ldap.conf on my distro (Debian). So NSS was ignoring the
> config that I had been in /etc/ldap/ldap.conf and taking it from
> /etc/libnss-ldap.conf.

As far as I'm aware, most of the distributions use a separate
configuration file for libnss-ldap, allowing /etc/ldap/ldap.conf to be
used for the generic configuration of user ldap searches (as it is
intended) and not have those constrained by the very specific needs of
nsswitch.  This separation is more than just a convenience.  At my
workplace, I have an LDAP directory as the backing for nsswitch and as
the passdb/idmap backend for Samba.  Samba's ldap searches are affected
by anything that goes into /etc/ldap/ldap.conf, which would cause
problems if the nsswitch-specific settings had to be stored there.

--
Bruce

Vajazzle - giving new meaning to the phrase "I'll scratch your eyes
out".