[Samba] getting winbindd errors on OS X Server 10.6.6

Michael Porter Michael.Porter at efi.com
Wed Jun 22 13:54:31 MDT 2011

All,

I am attempting to  resolve an issue that our OS X Server is having. It's running 10.6.6 and samba 3.0.28a-apple. In the last two weeks we've been rebooting this server multiple times a day because it stops responding to smb requests. A look at the logs reveal the following two error messages repeated hundreds of times:

6/17/11 6:18:00 PM /usr/sbin/winbindd[231] dnssd_clientstub deliver_request: socketpair failed 24 (Too many open files)
6/17/11 6:18:00 PM /usr/sbin/winbindd[13089] dnssd_clientstub deliver_request: socketpair failed 24 (Too many open files)

The messages stop on the reboot and don't come back for a period of time.

We typically have 60-75 clients connected to the system, which hosts files for a software build system. We don't think there's been a significant change in the way the clients interact with the server, nor have any software changes been made on the server.

Any help figuring out what to do next is appreciated!

--
Michael Porter
Senior Desktop Admin and Project Lead

Confidentiality notice: This message may contain confidential information. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not that person, you should not use this message. We request that you notify us by replying to this message, and then delete all copies including any contained in your reply. Thank you.