[Samba] Setting domain group ownership on files

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 21 04:58:25 MDT 2011

Hi,

I have been testing out a samba installation and am slowly getting to
a point where I am ready to push the project live. I have been playing
with a domain member server that uses winbindd. I have created a share
in /tmp called public to see what happens with user and group
permissions.

I created the directory as follows: mkdir /tmp/public; chgrp users
/tmp/public; chmod 2777 /tmp/public. Then from a Windows XP work
station I logged in as a domain user, connected to the share and
created a folder. When I list the folder from the shell on the server
I see:

root at dev2:/etc/samba# ls -ltr /tmp/public/
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 2 DOM\djohn users 4096 2011-06-21 11:44 d_john

That's great, the domain user owns the file. However the group owner
is the local group 'users'  (coming from the chmod above). My question
is "Is there a way to chgrp the parent folder to the DOM\Domain users
group?" or do I have to employ a groupmap between Domain users and the
local users group?

Thanks,
Dermot.