[Samba] Confusing Samba Issue After Move to New Subnet

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 20 15:26:13 MDT 2011

I'm running Samba 3.0.33-3.29.el5_5 on a CentOS 5.5 machine.
I'm connecting to it from a Windows 7 SP1 machine. I'm using
security = user and passdb backend = tdbsam . Everything
works fine until I move the Windows machine to an IP address
on another subnet. All networking functions still work fine
on the new subnet except Samba so it's clear there is no
TCP/IP problem.

On the old subnet when I map the network drive I'm asked
for a password. I give a password which is accepted and then
I see a folder from the network share. I can open any file.
When I'm on the new subnet I'm *not* asked for a password
even though I give the '/user' option on the "net use" command
line. Then I see the folder from the network share but
I can't open any files or directories. It's as if I'm being
seen as a different user that doesn't have file level permissions.
I've turned off firewalls on both the Linux and the Windows
machine but this didn't make any difference.

What's also strange about this is that when I try connecting
to the Samba share from yet another Windows 7 computer on yet
another subnet, after adding it to the "hosts allow" section,
then everything works fine.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support